Monday, January 19, 2009

Reality Check

Have you ever taken stock of your life and realized that this isn't what you pictured for yourself ten years ago? That's where I am today... looking around and realizing how many precious moments have slipped through my fingers while I was dreaming about tomorrow.

Anyone who knows me well would recognize that I have a tendency to dream- and dream big. I just had a conversation with a friend a few moments ago in which I had a reality check. I know everyone has a tendency to look at other people's lives and think how great they have it- how this person seems to have everything figured out- how that person over there really has their act together... I told my friend that I was wishing Clean Sweep would show up at my door and work their magic... or a cleaning crew and a large dumpster would appear... My friend proceeded to echo my sentiments listing off a battery of tasks that needed to get done in her home... and suddenly I realized that I sounded very much like one of those people gazing over the fence at someone else's life wishing for that greener grass.

The fact of the matter is that I don't believe anyone has "it all figured out"... we all have some sort of list of things we'd like to improve or accomplish... For some bizarre reason she thought I was one of those people that "had it all together." I of course corrected her, but she followed with a list of things she saw I had going for me.

I think we all have moments where we forget about our blessings in life. I am blessed to live in an amazing country where we have the freedom to worship God. I am blessed to look out my window and see the mountains every day. I am blessed to have a job in today's economy and one that I love. I am blessed to have dear friends who can lovingly call me out when I need a wake up call. I am blessed to have a roof over my head, food on the table and a vehicle that safely takes me where I need to go. I am blessed to share my life with four dogs that are always excited to see me when I come home.

This isn't the life I dreamt about in High School... but it's my life... and I'm so blessed in so many ways. Ten years from now I may be looking back thinking about all the freedom I once had... If I allowed myself to continue wishing for something different or something more I might miss the opportunities I have at this moment.

So here I am today... treasuring this moment and appreciating all that God has done in my life. Now if I could just figure out how to get Clean Sweep to show up... ; )

5 comments:

Meghan said...

Awesome reflection!!! Somehow I misplaced your blog address awhile back in my random re-decorating and just found it again!! Glad you're posting!! Keep it up!!!

Bart Saunders said...

Well said... I can say many of us aren't living the life we dreamed!! Making the best of today is our challenge for sure!

Pat said...

Hi Jenny,Your reflection reminded me that we really need to realize what blessings we have each day.  Never mind keeping up with "The Smiths".Your niece is darling.  I am glad that you were able to have fun with her earlier this monthy.Pat Clarke

Lisa said...

Hey Cuz, just in case you haven't checked my blog in a while I wanted to let you know I recently blogged about our awesome lunch together (finally!!). And that post may or may not involve a childhood "cousins" picture.

Hehe

Sondra- as in The Mom said...

Love to my beautiful firstborn....an awesome writer. Your presence in my life, in great part fulfilled some of my most significant dreams. Love, Mom.