Wednesday, July 9, 2008

I'm not ready yet...


So my eldest dog- Nikita is starting to show her advanced age... She is 14 1/2 by my calculations... and Siberian Huskies usually have a life span of 10-12 years. She has suddenly been extremely clingy, I've found her curled up in the corner-reluctant to move about... and yesterday she was following me down to the basement when her back legs gave out- and she tumbled down the stairs... If you have met her- you know that she is very puppy-like normally. Most are surprised that she is the oldest of the pack... Facing her mortality saddens me...

People who have had Huskies say that you never know that the end is near until it's here... They don't show their age until the very end... I'm not ready for the end.

In a way her life has seemed like a flash- my ex and I got her a couple months after we were married... how strange it is to look back at how life has changed since then... Back then I would never in a million years thought I would be where I am now... I can still visualize her as a puppy when we brought her home all those years ago... I dread the moment she leaves me... I'm not ready yet... :(

No comments: